Wednesday, 12 August 2009

Paul's House? Only In Adland!


Bron Eames, managing director at Haslimann Taylor, writes:

There are times when I envy the admen with the talent and budgets to produce iconic commercials which really are ‘art’, like the Guinness horses, or the Nike football fests with an abundance of World class talent.

And there are other times, when I thank my lucky stars that I am in PR and grounded in a world where we have to take a reality check and have to keep in touch with the consumer.

Have a look at this ad which is currently getting considerable air time here in the Midlands, and you will see what I mean.



Yep – a small boy is asking to go and poo at his friend (?) Paul’s house, because Paul has Glade Touch & Fresh in the bathroom.

The potential for satirical remakes of this ad are tremendous – perhaps where the small boy soils himself on the way to Paul’s? What other totally unlikely aspirations does this little chap have? Would he like to help do Granny’s laundry maybe? Unload the dishwasher?

I find it hard to believe that this ad was made with any input from real mothers, or anyone who has had to coax a small child towards better toilet etiquette. My son (at that age) would delight in ponging the house out and, strangely, even now at 15 would never think of using air freshener. Clearly, it all went wrong very early doors!

I suppose there is one positive, the mother has at least succeeded in educating her son that his s**t does stink, and he will not grow up into an arrogant, overconfident autocrat.

No comments:

Post a Comment